Property Licensing in London

How do I check if I need one?

No need to contact your local council, just simply check with the free-to-use tool. It informs you of the licensing requirements for your specific property.

You may not need a license today but you may need one tomorrow. Unfortunately, this means you just need to keep checking, or we could do it for you. Through our partners at Yuno, we can monitor your property portfolio and we will notify you when your property is in need of a license or is affected by new planning directives.

This way, you can stay up-to-date with the licensing changes you may not be aware of, without lifting a finger!

Tool and video's provided by

More information can be found on:  

Property licensing is the Local Authority’s process of improving living standards in rental accommodation and proving that landlords are ‘fit and proper' persons to operate these properties. The type of license a property requires varies depending on a number of different factors, including the number of tenants and the council your property is located in.

When determining whether you need a property license, it is important that you are aware of both the national and local authority regulations. The licensing rules are not consistent across every London borough, with each individual borough creating its own set of licensing rules. This creates a lot of confusion and makes it extremely difficult for agents and landlords to know whether their property requires a licence or not and a professional licensing company should be instructed to guide you through the process. In short, the type of licence required will depend on the property itself, how it is tenanted and the borough that it is located in.

Each council’s licensing requirements are applied to properties on a case-by-case basis, taking into account the size of the property and the number of tenants and type of tenancy. For example, the fire safety regulations are stricter for a 5 tenant bedsit HMO than for a family home. The level of fire safety and health and safety required in a property is supported by case studies that have illustrated the respective risk factor in each type of residential property. The guidance and enforcement come from the HMO Management Regulations 2006 or RRO (The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005) and the Housing Act 2004 under HHSRS.

You should always hold the correct property licence for your property. If the number of tenants in the property has changed this may change which licence is required. For example, if you have an HMO of 4 tenants under additional licensing and then tenant numbers increase to 5 this means a mandatory licence may now be required and the council must be notified of the change. The same is true if you are decreasing numbers. You may also have to risk assess the property again for fire precautions as a minimum.

We cover the whole of London

This map displays properties we currently Manage or have previously Let. 

We cover the whole of London and some surrounding areas. 

Through years of experience, we complete extensive research on every property we Let or Manage to ensure the expected rent is accurate to the market, and the property advert displays the most important information about your property and the local area.

Review our Fees

This website uses cookies. We use cookies to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic.
You consent to our cookies if you continue to use our website. Read our cookie policy. I understand